Do you try new types of food when you go to a Mexican shop?

Friday, February 19, 2010

Cotija's Diablo Shrimp Burrito

Nestled on the south side of Highland Avenue, Cotija Taco Shop still wears the architectural uniform of times past; the simple taco shop stands almost unappealing across a recently remodeled KFC, within an equally remodeled shopping center.

Spurred by a loyal reader's recommendation, Neil and I headed over to Cotija Taco Shop to try its much hyped Diablo Shrimp Burrito (DSB henceforth). The DSB had everything I look for in a shrimp burrito: Mexican rice and a fair amount of shrimps. The DSB, despite the hype, did not impress me--the regular shrimp burrito tasted a lot better. The rice and sauce in the DSB did not impress, it was bland. The only thing I liked about the DSB is the amount of shrimps, I counted 20. At $5.70 (tax included) it's one of the more expensive shrimp burritos; I will not be buying this again.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. They are much overhyped & overpriced. Though I'm not in SD anymore, I'm sure next time I go I'll be getting a few fish tacos (are they still 99¢?), Pollo fries, & Bean/Cheese burritos. I love the onions & pepino they have at the PQ one.

    ReplyDelete